Saturday, July 14, 2012

How to make an ironing board cover

I decided I needed to make myself a new ironing board cover. Mine was so gross! It had all sorts of things on it from my projects. So, a new one was definitely in order!


You will need:
* 2 yards of fabric
* 1/4 inch elastic
* Water soluble pen
* ruler

Preshrink your fabric by washing and drying and then give it a good iron so it will be nice and crisp.


Lay your fabric wrong side up on a table or the floor and place your ironing board on it.


Take your ruler and measure out a 3 inch mark with the water soluble pen every so far all the way around the ironing board. This will give you your guide to cut out your pattern.




Iron the edges down 1/2 inch


Iron the edges down another 1/2 inch and sew. Leave about a 3 inch opening for the elastic.


Now to get the amount of elastic I needed, I just done a little over half way around the board, going around the top. Like in the picture below.


Once you cut your elastic to the amount needed. Time to thread it through the casting. I pin one end to my project so it doesn't get lost and do another safety pin on the other end the thread it through.


Once your elastic is pulled through to the other side, sew the two ends together and pull all the elastic in the casting. Sew your opening up.


Wala! Now you've got yourself a fast and cute new ironing board cover! Exciting isn't it?

















2 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer, just popping by to say thank you for this tutorial which I used to make myself an ironing board cover, all the best, Jen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I'm so glad the tutorial helped you Glinda! "Pop" over anytime! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete