Sunday, March 17, 2013

How To Make a Custom Basket Liner

Making a basket liner is easy, fun and a great way to customize all your cute baskets for a fraction of the cost! 


See my great handmade soaps peeking out??? That is because I have the best SIL that makes some great smelling handmade soaps!!!

 Ok... so PLEASE forgive my inability to draw! Hopefully I can explain it better in words than what I draw!

Use 1/2" seam allowance.

First, you will need to measure the width (RED) by holding your measuring tape 2" on the outside of your basket... go down inside the basket, across the bottom, up the other side and 2" of the outside.
Mine was 19".

Now, measure you side (BLUE) by holding your measuring tape 2" on the outside of your basket and going down on the inside, stopping at the bottom. Remember, you will cut two of these.
Mine was 7".

Now on the outside, measure one long side and one short side to get your width for each.


My pieces measured 19"x9" and 7"x5".

Add 2" to all measurements for your cutting. My cut measurements were
21"x11" and 9"x7".

Sew your two smaller pieces onto your large piece.


Take you smaller pieces one at a time and pin the to the other end of your large piece. Sew. This will look like a bag with a whole in the bottom like above.


Time to sew your bottom up! One side at a time, pin and sew you edges together.


Fold and iron you top edge 1/4" and then fold and iron down a 1/2".

Sew around entire top except a few inches for the elastic.


To get the amount of elastic you need, you can just measure around your basket and subtract about 3-4".

Feed your elastic through the opening with your trusty safety pin.

Sew the ends of your elastic together.

Sew you opening shut. Add a little bow if you would like and Viola! A custom made basket liner!

I hope this didn't confuse anyone! This was kind of a toughy to explain. Maybe next time I do a toughy, I'll do a video instead. It would probably be easier.





No comments:

Post a Comment