Saturday, May 5, 2012

How To Applique On Knit


*TIP - DO NOT UNHOOP YOUR PROJECT DURING EMBROIDERY! YOU CAN TAKE YOUR HOOP ON AND OFF YOUR MACHINE THOUGH.

Since knit is a stretchy material, you will need an iron on stabilizer for the back to hold it in place while embroidering. I use fusible cotton. Just turn your project inside out and iron on the fusible cotton where you want to embroider. I like to make mine large enough that I know it wont stretch. It's hard to see on my white shirt so I tried to do a little black outline for you.

Hoop tear away stabilizer. Don't look at my hoop! (embarrassing!) I need to clean it dearly!

Now, I like to spray a tad of spray on adhesive to hold everything where I need it until I can get it pinned. Just slide your hoop in your shirt where you want it and pin.

Now to stitch your design!
My design has two sections. If you have a program that can show you your stitch steps such as sew what pro or embrid, it makes things easier.
My first stitch is an outline stitch (showing me where to place my fabric)

Place your fabric over your outline.

Your next stitch will be a tack-down stitch (this sews right over your outline stitch, holding the material in place)

Now, cut around your outline with embroidery scissors. Try to cut close to your stitches, but don't cut your stitching or your shirt.

Now onto my second part. Since I have also have applique center.
First - Outline stitch

Second - Place my fabric down and do the tack-down stitch.

Cut around the outline.

Now, your final stitch. Mine is a satin stitch.

Once your design is done. Unpin and unhoop your project. Tear away your tear away stabilizer and heat up the fusible cotton on the back (peeling it as you heat it) and cut away the excess.

That's all! Not hard at all! The key is using the right stabilizer for the right materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment